Making difficult choices! How do we go about setting boundaries that respect not only our relationships, but ourselves as well?
At some point, we’ve all faced these questions. There are no easy answers. But there are principles and guidelines that can help you to make good decisions: decisions that support your values and beliefs while still taking reality into account.
Stephanie wrote 7 Keys to Better Boundaries because so few of us understand the complexities of these choices. She knows that, in a difficult situation, you may need to address a number of issues:
- Discover your values and beliefs about the situation;
- Determine whether you’re dealing with reasonable or unreasonable people;
- Understand the consequences of not setting boundaries;
- See the potential for missing or inaccurate information;
- Explore the need to accept others’ choices as well as your own limitations;
- Acknowledge the many lies that run around in your head, persuading you to give away your power;
- Deal with the painful emotions (such as guilt and shame) that we all try so hard to avoid; and
- Master your own boundaries.
In this book, Stephanie presents a step-by-step approach that shows you how to get to a point, quickly and easily, where you are comfortable with the boundaries you choose to put in place.
The keys she explores include:
- Understanding yourself;
- Knowing who you are dealing with;
- Understanding the consequences of failing to set boundaries;
- Knowing what’s missing;
- Sorting out the lies;
- Dealing with the emotions; and
- Harnessing acceptance.
Reading this book will transform the way you look at boundaries as well as the choices you make in difficult situations.